Monday, December 10, 2012

A Different Perspective

   I read a blog today on another website that I wanted to share with everyone. The blogger has recently lost a child ( at 4 days old) and was reflecting on what is really important about this homeschooling journey we are on. I really think that everyone should read this posting ( Kleenex in hand). The original article can be found here ( please read it) :

http://www.thehomeschoolmom.com/blog/homeschooling/my-new-homeschool-rules/#sthash.2mWvQjwB.dpbs

  The story really made me stop and think about what my priorities are in our school. Is it absolutely imperative that everything be done exactly when I have it planned and in a perfect manner? Is it worth fighting with my kids over something not being done just exactly right?
   I am the first to admit I am pretty much a perfectionist. I tend to stick to a very rigid schedule and expect a lot out of my two young children. What is that drive towards perfection doing for them though? I think maybe I need to reevaluate what is important to me. Tomorrow is never promised. Of course I think that education is important, but isn't building character and forming long lasting healthy relationships important too?
   I need to learn to take a step back and enjoy each minute that I have been blessed with. I want to enjoy my children as they are learning, not be stressed out about if their work is perfect. For me I think this means more flexibility and more hands on learning, more fun. Isn't that one of the biggest reasons I started homeschooling to begin with?
   So from now on my goal is to try and not let those little things bother me and to try and enjoy our school days instead of dictate them. I am of course realistic and I know that life happens, schedules get busy, and parents get stressed, but I think that at least making a conscious effort at it will make a world of a difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment